Monday, October 31, 2011

In honour of Halloween

Winamp?!  Whoa, talk about a blast from the past!  I haven't heard that name in twelve years!  Too bad it's too much of a security risk.  I downloaded the setup file, scanned it for viruses (as I do with all downloads regardless of source; no threats found), and installed it.  When it opened, avast! (the top-rated antivirus software) wanted to open Winamp in safe mode because of security risks.  I said ok to that and then Windows Security Alert popped up with its own security warning.  I never get WSAs so I figured it must be a serious problem if both warnings popped up.  So much for that idea.  I uninstalled Winamp and started over with Juice.  It installed faster and without any security warnings.  I'd call that finished.

The issue is with having to download software.  I'm very picky about what I allow on my computer.  My hard drive was refurbished when I bought it 7 years ago so it's starting to show its age.  When I eventually get myself a newer, faster hard drive, downloading software won't be such an issue.  But on my current hard drive any increase in used space and background-running-bits means my regular uses for my computer are slowed down.

 I brought my latest book over to the computer to read while it slowly attempted to do the things I wanted (like adding podcasts).  It wasn't until I gave up and started shutting stuff down that I realized the book had been sitting on the 'Enter' button by the number keypad.


  Lesson learned: Never do your homework on Halloween.  It becomes a nightmare.


 Graphic via deviantart

No comments:

Post a Comment