Sunday, October 9, 2011

Three cups of tea and deceit

Have you read "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson?  It was getting rave reviews and book friends had mentioned their interest in reading it.  It sounded good but for some reason I was never really excited about it.  I put it on my to-read list as a 'just-in-case-I-have-nothing-better-to-read' title.  I strongly believe in donating to charity and helping fellow humans but I don't often read about it.

I'm a big fan of Jon Krakauer's writing style.  I've read "Into the Wild" (years before the film), "Into Thin Air", and "Eiger Dreams".  His latest book is "Three Cups of Deceit".  It seems that "Three Cups of Tea" is not exactly 100% accurate.  It sounds similar to the James Frey/Oprah debacle.  I've used this as an excuse to remove "Three Cups of Tea" from my to-read list.  I wasn't very keen in the first place anyway.  But although I love Krakauer's work, I have no intention of reading "Three Cups of Deceit" either.  I prefer not to read about the fraudulence of so-called humanitarians.  I prefer to keep my rose-coloured glasses on about the world.  I prefer to believe in the good of others.  I prefer to be naive if that's what it takes to save my sanity.


Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment