Sunday, October 2, 2011

New to ebooks

I have a BlackBerry Curve 9300.  Unfortunately, my library's ebooks from Overdrive are not compatible with my model.  I keep my fingers crossed for someday.  Until then, I have managed to find an app (called Buku Reader, $1.99) that allows me to read epub books.  I read all five of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series on it.  I am now basking in the constant availability of reading material without having to worry that I will somehow ruin the physical library books that I read.  Most trade and paperback books get scrunched and deformed from me carrying them in my backpack, therefore I try to read hardcover as often as possible.

Today I downloaded "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens (which I intend to read during my christmas holidays...I like being prepared), "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby (I've seen the movie, now I want to read the book), and "Devil in the White City" by Eric Larson (a title recommended by a coworker).  I also have books by Mary Roach, David Sedaris, and Malcolm Gladwell already loaded.  I currently have 13 titles loaded and hope to increase it.  I will be travelling during the christmas holidays and don't wish to be stuck without any reading material.  Nine of the thirteen titles are on my "to read" list and the others are incidental finds.

Although I'm enjoying reading on my BlackBerry, there are drawbacks.  People might think it's the small screen but I'm personally fine with that.  Actually, it's the way the text is converted either from the file or in the app.  There is one font and one font only.  This means I'll have to read "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" in print because it switches from 'I' to 'he' so often and I can't keep it straight without the differentiation in text.  Also, sometimes there is no break between paragraphs and/or chapters.  It ain't great but it'll do.  It feeds my craving for constant reading access without having to spend large sums of money.  A friend recently bought a Kobo and I helped her figure out how to load it.  All the talk about Kobos, Kindles, and Sony Readers has me intrigued but not enough yet to actually purchase one.  At least with my BlackBerry, I have it with me at all times anyway.

Do you have/use an ebook reader?  If so, what kind and are you happy with it?  Do you still read print books?  Do you have a preference?  Personally, I like both.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment