Monday, October 24, 2011

Quotes about reading

"Can't read all the time.  Bummer." - Rina Bander, in "Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs By Writers Famous & Obscure"

"Parents didn't have to read the New York Review of Books or James Joyce, and they didn't have to make their kids read Treasure Island or Greek myths.  Parents simply had to read for themselves, and to make sure there were kids' books in the house.  Children had only to see that reading was something adults did for pleasure and, following this example, would begin to read on their own."
-Lewis Buzbee, "The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop"

"I've had many more thousands of books in my possession than my shelves at home would indicate.  At one time, I tried to keep them all, but that quest soon became impossible; I now only keep the ones I'm sure I'm going to reread, the ones I'm definitely going to read before I die, and the ones I can't bear to part with because of an aesthetic or emotional attachment."
-Lewis Buzbee, "The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop"

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment