Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I promise ...

...to do (that is, finish) my Learning 2.0 homework tomorrow.  For now I have other things to talk about.

...to read.  I promise to read on my own, in print or on a screen, wherever books appear.  That's right, I've just consumed the book "The Reading Promise" by Alice Ozma in one day.  Technically, less than one day.  Actually closer to seven hours.  All 279 pages of it.  In this book, a father reads to his daughter for a 3218-day streak.  That's 8.8 years.  If I had kept track, I could probably beat it.  If I had thought to keep track of it, I would have, but I haven't and now I'm kicking myself.  Reading is so much a part of my life that I can't even contemplate a day without it.  I read during my breaks at work, I read at home after work, I read on my days off.  I'm always reading.  I always have a book with me, which is easier now that I have an e-reader on my BlackBerry.

My brother and his wife are expecting their first child in December, the first grandchild for our family.  Reading "The Reading Promise" only fueled my enthusiasm for being the "book aunt".  We don't know if it is a boy or girl and won't know until s/he is born.  But I dream of reading to her/him.  Because we live on opposite sides of the country, I have a plan for accomplishing this.  I'm actually excited about it.  In fact, I think I'm a little too eager.  I want to read books that s/he isn't ready for.  Is it okay to read just anything to a newborn?  Can I read it Malcolm Gladwell and Robert J. Sawyer?  Is there a "Reading to Babies for Dummies"?  No matter what, I promise that my niece/nephew will have access to any books s/he wants.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment