Sunday, November 27, 2011

E-readers versus physical books

I once wrote an opinion piece regarding the so-called "death of books".  In it, I compared book formats to music formats (vinyl, 8-track tapes, cassettes, CDs, and digital).  Just like music formats, the old ones never completely go away.  Just look at how vinyl records are making a comeback.  I feel the same can be said for books.  Despite the raging popularity of e-readers, printed books will never go out of style.  There will always be people who prefer one over the other.  For me, I'm an unofficial fence-sitter.  Actually, I play for both sides.  I prefer to read physical books except in situations where physical books are an inconvenience.  And that, I think, is the main reason for the popularity of e-readers: convenience.  I recently discovered a blog called Bookfessions.  One of them aptly conveys why I play both sides: "Those who don't travel will never understand how fabulous ereaders are. How else could I take 500 books with me on an airplane?"  This is true for me too.  During the christmas holidays this year, I will be spending a week away from home (and away from my books).  This includes two 4-hour flights.  Thankfully, it also includes a day of bookstore-hopping.  Having an e-reader means ALWAYS (and I do mean always) having reading material at hand.  That is why I say yes to e-readers.  But I will only buy physical books.  I personally will never pay for a digital version of a book regardless of how much less they cost than a physical book.  If I'm spending money on books, I want something that can sit on my bookshelf, not something I can accidentally erase.  I feel the same way about digital music.  If it is easy to accidentally make it gone, I don't want to pay for it.  Therefore I'm grateful for the plethora of free ebooks available to me.  But you can usually find me reading a physical book.  I think there should be no argument whatsoever about which format is better.  Because none are better; they are just better for your personal lifestyle.  People who would never pick up a physical book are now reading on e-readers.  And that's a good thing.  I am disheartened by bookstores that are closing due to poor sales but I have hope for the future.  I believe that people will still be buying physical books for years and decades to come, regardless of the current digital media craze.  That's my opinion anyway.

Also from Bookfessions: "A lot of people don't like ereaders, but I think they're amazing. They make it so much easier to read under the covers when I'm supposed to be asleep."  I personally discovered this ability in September with the Day/Night settings on my e-reader.

Edited to add: Here is the most eloquent, well-written article about the whole topic I have ever read.  I think I'll print a copy for safekeeping.


Read on,
Paula

1 comment:

  1. Well said! ... mind you, you're preaching to the choir ... we've got an 8-track player..... < don't ask me how to use it... no idea! but that's not the issue here 8) > I also won't buy digital books, but free ebooks are awesome, and with all my appointments that usually have plenty of waiting room time, I am delighted to have books with me at all times 8)

    ReplyDelete