Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A photographer who won't use Flickr?

Photography runs in my family.  My uncle was a professional photographer.  My brother helped to start a photography school.  And I have loved photography for a very long time.  So why don't I want to create a Flickr account?  In recent years I've become far more picky about the photos I take.  Most of the photos I take now are what I call "event" photos: concerts, weddings, and other special events I attend.  Predominantly my photos are of people, and I don't like to publicly share photos of other people, and certainly not without their express permission.  I do have a Webshots account though.  If you've never heard of it, it's kind of like Flickr except Webshots uses the photos for your computer's background and screensaver.  But I haven't even used that in a while; blame the previously-mentioned outdated hard drive.  I really like Webshots.  I will like it even more when I can use it again.  If you're interested in seeing my photos, you can view my profile.

I did a people search for "public library" on Flickr and got 1234 results.  I sorted by the number of items.  The first one I thought was Canadian was the London Public Library on page 5 with 1192 photos.  But I admit I'm not a geography whiz so it may not actually be the first Canadian library in the list; it's just the first one I found.  The London Public Library had a Lego contest (what a cool idea!) and this was one of the winners.

Last year was the first year our summer reading program staff used Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to promote the program.  You can view their first YouTube video here.

As for podcasts, I had downloaded Juice on Monday.  Tonight I finally figured out how to use it.  I'm excited to listen to the Q interviews with William Shatner, Douglas Coupland, Colm Feore, Chaz Bono, Adele, and Alan Doyle!

You realize that all this access to new-found media will take away from my reading time, right? *sigh*

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment