Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Picking books, buying books...Part 2

I found these questions on bookgirl's nightstand and decided to post my own answers:
How do you find books to read? Reviews? Recommendations? Favorite Authors? Other?
I love the new recommendations feature on Goodreads.  It's the best one I've encountered so far.  Once I discover a favourite author, I will read all their books.  Maybe not right away but they will all end up on my to-read list and I will slowly whittle away at them.  Also, I do most of the ordering for the library I work at and we order from catalogues.  If I'm going to stare at them for hours, I'll make sure to find a title or two (or more) for myself.
Where do you get your books? Independent bookstores? Chain stores? Online? Library?
Since I work at a public library (two of them, to be exact), a large percentage of the books I read are from the library.  I sometimes shop at the nearest Coles and/or Chapters.  I absolutely adored my (sadly, infrequent) visits to the local Half Price Books.  My most recent visit last week revealed that it had gone out of business.  I do not lie when I say I am deeply saddened by this news.  But my recent discovery of Better World Books bolsters my spirit for cheap books from my to-read list.
When? Or more accurately, how often? How many books on average do you get or buy each month?
I don't honestly keep track on a monthly basis simply because it fluctuates based on what else is going on in my life and the particular reading material of the moment.  Last year I broke my own reading record with 100+ titles.  Thankfully my Goodreads and Shelfari accounts keep track of all that for me.  I love stats.  I especially love not having to compile them myself.  I bought a third bookcase last weekend because I want to expand my personal library.  I want to do this without conscious attention on the cost.

What about you?  What are your answers?

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment