Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Picking books, buying books

Tonight I finished reading "The Little Giant of Aberdeen County" by Tiffany Baker.  I was on the verge of a good end-of-emotional-book cry when a friend called.  She asked me what I was doing, I said I'd just finished my book.  She asked if it was any good.  And this question has two answers for me.  The first is "of course".  My to-read list is 550+ titles long; I don't have the time or patience to read books I'm not interested in.  So if I finish it, it's at least good, if not better than good.  The other answer to this question is "I think so".  What I mean by that is that reading preferences are highly personal.  Book clubs will demonstrate that in one meeting.  But for me personally, just seeing what my friends read is my own demonstration.  I read a lot of non-fiction mixed in with my fiction.  My fiction tastes are different from the general populace and I'm okay with that.  A person's reading tastes are as unique and nuanced as their personality...no two people are completely alike.  So, yes, I enjoyed this book very much but that doesn't mean you or anyone else will like it for the same reasons or at all.  And that's why the freedom to read whatever your heart desires is an important right in our lives.  I mimic Voltaire when I say, "I may not agree with what you read but I will defend to the death your right to read it."

On the topic of buying books, my first shipment from Better World Books is waiting for me at the post office!!  *happy dance*

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment