Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Booking Through Thursday; An introduction to genres

I work in two libraries and I am book-obsessed.  I think about books practically all day every day.  And I love it.  But for some reason, I don't always know what to talk about here on my book blog.  I recently discovered the Booking Through Thursday blog which offers up weekly book-related questions.  Actually, I discovered it on the blog of Simon Savidge (of The Readers).  I love to journal so book-related journalling is twice as nice!  Unlike the rest of the world, I am relatively new to blogging and definitely newer than Booking Through Thursday.  I've decided to start at the beginning, which was May 2005.  That's right...seven years' worth of questions!  So without further ado...

An Introduction To Genres
1. What kind of books do you like?
2.Why?  Provide specific examples.

Despite it being a basic question, I don't think I've answered it with specifics before.  Although I read widely, I generally read whatever sounds interesting to me plot-wise.  I would say that I read general fiction the most or literary fiction as opposed to any specific genre.  I read a lot of non-fiction and have my favourite subjects like neuroscience, music, fat studies, and my main love is books about books and reading.  I read a lot of the "popular science" genre.  I have all of Mary Roach and Malcolm Gladwell's books on my TBR because I have very much enjoyed the ones I've read ("Packing For Mars" by Mary Roach; "Blink" and "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell) .  I love learning new things without becoming an expert.  I love the "popular science" genre mostly because they usually teach you something without using boring language.  Thus the popularity of Mary Roach...she adds humour to topics that are not generally thought of as funny (human cadavers in "Stiff", the afterlife in "Spook", and sex in "Bonk").  I find the entertaining non-fiction books to be the best because they make learning fun.

What about you?  What do you like and why?

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment