Thursday, March 28, 2013

Date a girl who reads

If you haven't heard the horrible news, Google is discontinuing their Reader.  I am heartbroken.  I love Google Reader and may have difficulty finding anything good enough for me to replace it.  In preparation for its demise in July, I've been going through old starred blog posts and printing the ones I want to keep.  And that's where I found an entry with the quote "Date A Girl Who Reads" by Rosemarie Urquico.  Here's the link to the full quote on Goodreads and here's the first paragraph:

Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes, who has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

I absolutely adore this whole essay.  My dream is to fall in love with a guy who totally gets my book addiction.  Since I have no intention of having children, I am already planning which books to give my nieces/nephews as they get older.  I want to be the book aunt.  Although I don't sniff the pages (damned allergies!) and my reading tastes are different from those prescribed in the quote, I would dearly love for my would-be-partner to hold me while I cry over a book simply because he understands how a book can affect you.

Frankly, everyone should read Urquico's quote, but most especially all of us girls who read.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment