Thursday, March 7, 2013

1000 novels everyone must read

The Guardian wrote an article called '1000 novels everyone must read' and I checked to see how many I have read.  I'm guessing that, being a UK publication, the focus was on UK titles because there are a large percentage of titles that I've never heard of before.  There is a mix of classics and newer titles and I was very happy to see that two Douglas Coupland titles are on the list.  I have 7 titles on my TBR and I have read 33 of them:

*Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
*Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
*The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
*The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
*Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
*The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
*The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
*The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
*To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
*Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
*Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
*Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
*Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
*Persuasion by Jane Austen
*Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
*Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
*Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
*Lord of the Flies by William Golding
*Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
*News From Nowhere by William Morris
*The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
*Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
*Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
*The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
*Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
*The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
*Dracula by Bram Stoker
*The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
*Microserfs by Douglas Coupland
*The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
*A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
*On the Road by Jack Kerouac
*Slaughter-House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

I'm going to check out the titles I've never heard of and see if there are any to add to my TBR.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment