Thursday, January 10, 2013

Avoiding temptation...FAIL!

Not even a full two weeks into my new reading goal for 2013 and I've already broken my own rule.  Well, if I want to get real technical about it, I could say that I never said I couldn't borrow books from friends.  I said I was going to read the ones I own and not read library books until I was finished them all.

The funny thing is that not a frisson of guilt went through my body when my friend handed me her copy of "Soulless: The Manga, Volume 2".  I immediately started reading it...even though I was at work.  It made me realize that I need to put the novels on my wishlist.  I loved them and would like to reread them at some point in the future.

My friend apologized to me a few times for handing me the book even though she knew about my reading goal.  I accepted her apologies but wouldn't let her feel bad about it.  Even though I should have avoided temptation, I don't feel guilty about this because I will have the book finished before the night is over and I can go back to my own books.  In this particular case, I already know what happens in the storyline and am enjoying seeing how the graphic novel expresses that.  If it were a book I'd never read before, I'd be less tempted.

Will this be the last time I break my own rules this year?  I'm not sure.  I doubt it but it all depends on the specific situation.  But I'll keep track of the totals just to see how well I do.

Owned books read: 1, 1 in progress
Contraband read: 1

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment