Friday, January 18, 2013

2013 reading goal (revamped)

Three weeks into the new year and my 2013 reading goal has already been called into question.  It sounded like a great idea.  Since I'm so picky about the books I own, I know that the ones I haven't read yet will be interesting and are of interest to me.  The problem is all the new books that I want to read that I don't own.  The temptation is just too much.

I went on to the Chapters website to order a book I desperately want to read and the first thing I see on their header is the advertisement for the new Dan Brown book.  "Inferno" (aka Robert Langdon #4) is coming out in May.  I know my library will be getting it and I will want to be the first one to read it since I am a fan of the series.  The final book in the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler is also coming out in May.  The final book in the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness is supposed to be coming out this year.  And now that I've started listening to the Books on the Nightstand podcast, I'm finding even more titles to add to my TBR.  All of this does not bode well for the 2013 reading goal.

So I've decided to modify the goal.  Instead of reading ONLY the books I own, I will do my best to read as many of them as possible while weaving library books in as well.  After the letdown that was "The Museum's Secret", I'm taking a break to read a library book called "On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan (which I heard about on BOTNS).  I've discussed my goal with my library coworkers and got some suggestions.  I could read one library book a month.  I could read one library book for each owned book I read.  Considering how many books I read each year, one library book per month doesn't sound like enough to me.  And one-for-one sounds like too much.  So I'm currently modifying the goal to be one library book for every two owned books I read.  I know I shouldn't feel guilty about all this since it is my own goal that I decided to do myself and no harm will come to anyone should I decide to give it up.  So I'm hoping that one-for-two will be enough to keep my silly guilt at bay while still accomplishing the goal I set for myself.  We'll see how it goes.

Owned books: 2
Borrowed books: 1

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment