Saturday, December 29, 2012

Year-end book review 2012


1.  Best book(s) I read in 2012: "Cooking the Books" by Kerry Greenwood

2.  Most disappointing book of 2012: "The Bookshop" by Penelope Fitzgerald

3.  Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012: "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery.  I didn't expect it to be as fantastic as it was.  I was unexpectedly surprised by how much I loved it. 

4.  Books I recommended most to people in 2012: Big Girls Lovin' trilogy by Angela Verdenius 

5.  Best series I discovered in 2012: Big Girls Lovin' trilogy by Angela Verdenius 

6.  Favourite new author(s) of 2012: Angela Verdenius 

7.  Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2012: "Friday Society" by Adrienne Kress. It may be a young adult novel but it was great.  A steampunk novel with three strong female lead characters...love it.

8.  Book I most anticipated in 2012: "Triggers" by Robert J. Sawyer 

9.  Favourite cover of a book I read in 2012: "Year Zero" by Rob Reid...I love the alien version of the Napster logo.




10. Most memorable character in 2012: Alexia Tarabotti of the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. 

11. Most beautifully written book of 2012: "The Dark Wife" by Sarah Diemer

12. Best book that was out of my comfort zone or was a new genre for me in 2012: "Luscious Love by Zach Sweets...m/m erotic romance.  I also read more erotica this year too.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on me in 2012: "Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them" by Hanne Blank

14. Book I can't believe I waited until 2012 to FINALLY read: I probably would have enjoyed "Mary Poppins" by P.L. Travers and "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery much more had I read them when I was younger.

15. Book I read in 2012 that would most likely be reread in 2013: The Corinna Chapman series

16. Book that had a scene in it that had me reeling and dying to talk to someone about it? (A WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.  No spoilers!): "Tempest's Fury" by Nicole Peeler.  The cliffhanger ending had me crying my eyes out...can't wait for the final book in the series next year.


Some fun stats:
Books completed: 227
Pages read: 40,937
Books by male authors: 37
Books by female authors: 190
Fiction: 210
Non-fiction: 17
Children's books: 3
YA books: 11
Big fat books (more than 500 pages): 4

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment