Saturday, January 28, 2012

End-of-year book survey

I saw this survey on Books and Chocolate and immediately wanted to do one myself.  I'm a little late-ish but I don't care.  So here goes:

1.  Best book(s) I read in 2011: "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn and "Earthly Delights" by Kerry Greenwood

2.  Most disappointing book of 2011: It's a tie between "The Map of Time" by Felix J. Palma and "This Dark Endeavour" by Kenneth Oppel 

3.  Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011: I figured I would read the first page of "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, not like it, and return it to the library.  I finished the book in two days...got totally sucked in! 

4.  Books I recommended most to people in 2011: "Before I Go To Sleep" by S.J. Watson 

5.  Best series I discovered in 2011: The Corinna Chapman series by Kerry Greenwood 

6.  Favourite new authors of 2011: Kerry Greenwood, Ivan Coyote, and Gail Carriger 

7.  Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2011: I go to bed at the same time every night, so when a book is so good that I stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it, that's a sure sign the book is good.  I did that for both "Forbidden Fruit" by Kerry Greenwood (read in 1 day) and "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness" (read in 2 days)

8.  Book I most anticipated in 2011: "Wonder" by Robert J. Sawyer, the third and final book in his WWW trilogy 

9.  Favourite cover of a book I read in 2011: "Stars" by Mary Lyn Ray




10. Most memorable character in 2011: Corinna Chapman! 

11. Most beautifully written book of 2011: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Anne Barrows.  I would also vote it for the book with the longest title.

12. Best book that was out of my comfort zone or was a new genre for me in 2011: I don't like heavy metal music and I'm not much for reading biographies.  But I enjoyed reading "Mustaine" by Dave Mustaine. 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on me in 2011: "The Reading Promise" by Alice Ozma.  I promise to read and I promise to read to my brand new niece. 

14. Book I can't believe I waited until 2011 to FINALLY read: "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.  I was impressed to find that there is more plot to the actual story than the film versions I've seen.  I still love "Mickey's Christmas Carol" for the visual but I actually like the book a lot. 

15. Book I read in 2011 that would most likely be reread in 2012: I have far too many books on my to-read list to do any rereading but if I miraculously ran out of things to read, I would choose any book by Ivan Coyote. 

16. Book that had a scene in it that had me reeling and dying to talk to someone about it? (A WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.  No spoilers!): The revelation about Audrey's father and uncle at the end of "Come, Thou Tortoise" by Jessica Grant.


Some fun stats:
Books completed: 122
Pages read: 27,367
Books by male authors: 63
Books by female authors: 59
Fiction: 75
Non-fiction: 47
Children's books: 34
YA books: 4
Big fat books (more than 500 pages): 3


I might do this again next year.  I already have one of the answers.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment