Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Women reading

A few months ago I came across Women Reading, a tumblr about women reading.  The photos vary:
*some are contemporary, some are antique
*some are photos, some are paintings
*some are amateur, some are professional
*some are famous women, some are everyday women
*some are candid, some are staged
*some are original, some are edited
*some are basic, some are creative
but all of them have books and women in them.

From viewing this website, I choose to believe that Marilyn Monroe was an avid reader.  Photos on the website show her reading James Joyce, Walt Whitman, Arthur Miller, magazines and newspapers.  I love the website but I have some nitpicks.  A small percentage of the photos are repeated.  And some of them repeated repeatedly.  Personally, I don't "get" the photos of people sitting or standing on books or laying a book on their face.  How can you enjoy the books if you aren't actually reading them?  And personally, just because a woman and at least one book are in the photo doesn't mean it is about a woman reading.  And what's up with a woman fully clothed sitting in a bathtub of books?  But that's my nitpickiness.  The website is still fabulous in and of itself.  There are approximately 12 photos per page and I've gone through 450 pages so far without reaching the end.  I am grateful for this website because I didn't realize there were so many different artworks involving women reading.  And I get to lose myself in the beauty of it.


Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment