Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Freedom To Read Week/banned books


According to the ALA banned books list, I've read:

"Catcher in the rye" by J.D. Salinger
"1984" by George Orwell
"Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck (high school assigned reading)
"Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (high school assigned reading)
"The lord of the rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien

From other banned books lists, I've read:

"Diary of a young girl" by Anne Frank
"Dracula" by Bram Stoker
"Lord of the flies" by William Golding (high school assigned reading)
"Bell jar" by Sylvia Plath
"Little house on the prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder
"Strangers in a strange land" by Robert Heinlein
"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
"The lovely bones" by Alice Sebold
"A wrinkle in time" by Madeline L'Engle
"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare (high school assigned reading)
"Macbeth" by William Shakespeare (high school assigned reading)

I have "Lysistrata" by Aristophanes on my TBR and I'm currently reading "To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee.  My library coworkers were shocked to learn I haven't read "To Kill a Mockingbird" before.  This is because, somehow, my high school assigned readings were heavy on the Shakespeare and light on typical classics.  As evidence of this, I have never read any Mark Twain.  Not "Huckleberry Finn" or "Tom Sawyer" or any of his works.  But I have "The Prince and the Pauper" waiting in the wings to read.

On a side note, the BOTNS podcast lead me to this article about overrated books...some of them being on the banned list.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment