Saturday, February 2, 2013

A book meme

A book meme I found at bookgirl's nightstand.  These are my answers:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? It depends.  I like hardcovers for my personal library but trade paperbacks are easier to hold.

Amazon or brick and mortar? Since I don't have a car, I usually order from Chapters or Better World Books or Amazon.  But I also love browsing in physical stores.

Bookmark or dogear? Bookmark, of course.  I will even resort to temporary bookmarks like paper than to defile the pristine condition of the page.

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? I alphabetize my fiction by author but I use the Dewey Decimal system to organize my non-fiction.

Keep, throw away, or sell? I keep books I’ve loved or liked.  All others get donated to a library or given to friends.  If they are library discards, they get recycled.

Keep dust jacket or toss it? Keep the dust jacket, of course!

Read with dust jacket or remove it? It depends on the book.  Usually, I keep it on.

Short story or novel? I prefer novels or other full-length non-fiction books.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Harry Potter.  The one Lemony Snicket novel I read I found annoying in the use of big words and then explaining what they mean...it was too distracting.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? I prefer stopping at chapter breaks but sometimes I have to resort to paragraph or plot pauses.

It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? Either one as long as they aren't too scary.

Buy or Borrow? Both. I prefer reading a book before I buy it to make sure I like it.  I read a lot of library books.

New or used? Both, but I do buy more new books than used.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? If it's a title I haven't actually read yet, I go by the synopsis.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger? I prefer tidy endings.  Cliffhangers are okay for a book in a series though.

Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? All of the above.  I read in the morning until I have to go to work, I read during my breaks at work, and then I read in the evening after I get home from work.

Standalone or series? I have read both and have no preference.  The benefit of a series is being able to get to know characters far more in-depth than you ever could with a standalone.

Favorite series? Corinna Chapman by Kerry Greenwood.

Favorite books read last year? You can see all my favourites in this post.


Favorite books of all time? I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak, Persuasion by Jane Austen, Beauty and the Beast (various versions and retellings), The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery, anything by Ivan E. Coyote, Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner.

No comments:

Post a Comment