Saturday, December 31, 2016

"The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling)

Synopsis:
The Cuckoo's Calling is a 2013 crime fiction novel by J. K. Rowling, published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

A brilliant mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.


You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

Review:
After reading the first page, I realized that I like J.K. Rowling's writing style.  Despite being out of my comfort zone (I'm not a fan of murder mysteries), I found this book to be well-written and engaging.  I rated it 5 stars on Goodreads because I couldn't think of anything at all I would have changed about the book (which doesn't happen very often).  I was a little concerned at first at the length of the book (455 pages) but I read it in just a few days because I found it so captivating and enjoyable.  Even though I am not one for remembering minute details, I liked that I was not able to guess whodunnit, but that could just be me.

I intend to read the rest of the books in the series, including the new book coming out in 2017, unless the others in the series aren't as enjoyable and well-written.  However, I have decided, based on how much I enjoyed this book, that I might actually try reading J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy" as well.  We'll see what 2017 brings.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment