Thursday, January 1, 2015

Year-end book review 2014

1.  Best book(s) I read in 2014: "The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin

2.  Most disappointing book of 2014: "The Art of Sleeping Alone" by Sophie Fontanel

3.  Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2014: "Redshirts" by John Scalzi

4.  Books I recommended most to people in 2014: "No Relation" by Terry Fallis

5.  Best series I discovered in 2014: The 'Measure of Devotion' series by Caethes Faron

6.  Favourite new author(s) of 2014: None this year

7.  Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2014: All three books in the 'Measure of Devotion' series by Caethes Faron

8.  Book I most anticipated in 2014: "No Relation" by Terry Fallis

9.  Favourite cover of a book I read in 2014: "The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin



10. Most memorable character in 2014: Earnest Hemmingway from "No Relation" by Terry Fallis

11. Most beautifully written book of 2014: None this year

12. Best book that was out of my comfort zone or was a new genre for me in 2014: "Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking" by Benjamin Perrin

13. Book that had the greatest impact on me in 2014: "Do Less: A Minimalist Guide to a Simplified, Organized, and Happy Life" by Rachel Jonat

14. Book I can't believe I waited until 2014 to FINALLY read: "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving

15. Book I read in 2014 that would most likely be reread in 2015: "The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality" by Julie Sondra Decker

16. Book that had a scene in it that had me reeling and dying to talk to someone about it? (A WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.  No spoilers!): "Flee, Fly, Flown" by Janet Hepburn

Some fun stats:
Books completed: 54
Books by male authors: 19
Books by female authors: 35
Fiction: 29
Non-fiction: 25
Children's books: 3
YA books: 0
E-books: 24
Did not finish (DNF): 3
Re-reads: 1
Translated books: 2 (one Swedish, one French)
Big fat books (more than 500 pages): 0

Doing this year-end recap made it completely clear how much my reader's block affected my reading.  There are questions I just can't answer.  That hurts, actually.  It makes me wish for a 2015 with much more reading that I did in 2014.  I still haven't decided whether or not to participate in the 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge.  I want to because it keeps track of my books for the year for me and their data makes it easier to fill in my recap.  Unfortunately, they don't provide as much data (book length, overall page total, etc.) as they used to.  And although I want to read more than 50 books in 2015, I do not like failing at a challenge and don't want to have to edit my goal down from my original (something I had to do this year).  I can always join it at a later date so I will continue to mull it over for now.

Here's to a merry book-filled year!

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment