Saturday, May 3, 2014

Rereading children's books

Listening to The Readers podcast episode about children's classics reminded me of when I reread the first book in the Nancy Drew series (The Secret of the Old Clock) last year.  I had bought a reprinted edition a few years ago and had never gotten around to reading it.  I LOVED the Nancy Drew series when I was a girl.  I loved that it was a smart young woman who solved mysteries.  I loved the stories that featured hidden passageways.  I had such fond memories of the series.

And then I reread the first book in the series.  Bad idea.  As an adult, the book just didn't stand up to my childhood fascination.  The plot was unrealistic.  I found it so different from my remembered expectations and so unpalatable to my adult mind that I couldn't even finish it.  And that's part of what the episode of The Readers is about: how rereading childhood favourites can be detrimental to your love of the books.  I have also found this to be so with beloved childhood television shows.  They just don't stand up to the test of adulthood.  And I so wish that were not the case.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment