Saturday, January 11, 2014

BTT: Villainy; Autumn reading

Villainy (from Booking Through Thursday)

Terrorists aren’t just movie villains any more. Do real-world catastrophes such as 9/11 (and the bombs in Madrid, and the ones in London, and the war in Darfur, and … really, all the human-driven, mass loss-of-life events) affect what you choose to read?  And, does the reality of that kind of heartless, vicious attack–which happen on smaller scales ALL the time–change the way you feel about villains in the books you read? Are they scarier? Or more two-dimensional and cookie-cutter in the face of the things you see on the news?

I do not read anything that involves terrorism, war, crime, or any kind of scary topics as a general rule.  Scary topics freak me out because of my active imagination and I prefer not to be uncomfortable.  This is why I don't read crime novels and murder mysteries because of the typical amount of gory detail they contain.
  

Autumn Reading (from Booking Through Thursday)

Does the changing season change your reading habits? Less time? More? Are you just in the mood for different kinds of books than you were over the summer?

For the most part, my reading habits don't change from season to season.  The only thing that changes is where I read: I read outside more during warm weather.  I try to read more winter/holiday-themed books during the winter/holiday season.  Aside from that, I generally continue to read the same amount and read by whim.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment