Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My reading is evolving

I have not been reading nearly as much this year as I had intended.  I'm also planning to purge my personal library because my reading tastes are changing and some of the books I own no longer interest me.

This is the first year that I've had any reading goals (1. Read from my home library and 2. Read 150 books) and neither one is going well.  I have not been reading as much as I usually do and so what seemed like an attainable goal is floundering.  And because of my shifting tastes, I have not been reading much from my personal library either.

Reading has always been a major part of my life and will continue to be.  However, considering the changes I'm making in my personal life (new hobbies!), I have made the decision to stop focusing on the number of books I read in a year.  I will continue to keep track of the books I do read, I just won't let myself get caught up in the competitive nature of reading goals.  Although Good Reads will allow me to change my goal (even though we're eight months along), I would rather not do that.  I know I will fail to reach the full 150 but I have managed to make it halfway so far.  And the year isn't over yet.

As for purging my home library, I haven't set a date to do it yet and I have other home projects (refinishing an end table) that will take priority.  And purging my home library will also have the benefit of making room on my literally overflowing bookshelves.  I will be giving the purged books to book-loving friends or donating them to either of the two libraries I work at...so at least I'll know they are going to find a good home.  And a recent episode of Books on the Nightstand talked about readers being or not being collectors.  I am just choosing to be a far pickier collector.  I will continue to buy the books I absolutely love.  I just won't buy many books without reading them first.  My post-purge home library will contain mostly just the books I adore and a few that I'm really eager to read.  Personal libraries reflect the person to whom they belong; as I am evolving, so must my personal library.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment