Saturday, August 17, 2013

Creating an inspirational library

I have read four inspiring, life-changing books so far this year.  Three within the last two months.  They have been so inspiring that I want to create a separate collection within my home library specifically for these books and any I read in the future.  As you will see from my list, inspiring books do not always have to be non-fiction.  I would include these titles in my inspirational library:

*"Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead" by Brené Brown
=I was deeply moved by both of her TED Talks, which motivated me to read this book.  I am now contemplating reading her other books as well.  A lot of the concepts she talks about in "Daring Greatly" really struck home for me and I will endeavour to build my shame resilience skills.  I also plan to reread it right away so I can absorb it even more the second time around.

*"Half The Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide" by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn
=It is nearly impossible to feel bad about myself when I am so unbelievable lucky compared to other women in the world.  Comparing my life to others in my own country means that I am living just barely above the poverty line; comparing my life to others in the world means that I am living a lavish and lucky life full of privilege and abundance.

*"Calling In 'The One': 7 Weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life" by Katherine Woodward Thomas
=Although this is technically a "Law of Attraction" relationship book, I have made the most psychological progress from reading this book.  I have dealt with issues I never even knew I had.  Essentially, you are supposed to do that in order to prepare yourself for the love of your life.  For me, regardless of whether or not I ever find the love of my life, I will forever be grateful for the positive changes I am making in my life for myself.

*"The Heart and the Bottle" by Oliver Jeffers
=This may be a picture book but I bawled my eyes out in the bookstore when I read it.  It's one of those books that may seem like it's written for children but it speaks deeply to me as an adult and about re-learning to have a sense of wonder about the world.  Also, this is not the first book I've read by Oliver Jeffers because I love his illustrations.

*You can read my review of "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery, which I read in 2012.

*"I Am The Messenger" by Markus Zusak (read in 2005)
=A young adult novel about connection and not having to be great to do good.  The first truly inspiring book I ever read!

No comments:

Post a Comment