Friday, November 9, 2012

Rejuvenating interest

I love the idea of blogging. I love writing and do a lot of journaling in my personal life. I've had blogs in the past and eventually lost interest in posting because I end up feeling like I have nothing to say. Call it self-esteem issues or just a general lack of self-absorption. Starting a blog about reading and books should have been and was an enthusiastic project. It started as a course project but I posted more than just my assignments. I really wanted to continue it after the course ended and for a while I did. And then the enthusiasm faded. Although I love reading and I love writing, the two didn't seem to go hand-in-hand for me. On the rare occasions when I write a review about a book I've read, it's because the book has meant something to me, sparked an idea or a thought process. My reviews tend to be vague and short: whether or not I liked it and why. Some reviews I've read by other readers are long and detailed and evocative. I haven't written like that. There are times when I can't vocalize the reason I liked a book...just that I did. Today I listened to a podcast from The Readers that helped rejuvenate my interest in blogging because one of the speakers talked about taking notes while reading a book to help flesh out a book review.  I plan to do that from now on and hope that it will help me develop my book review-writing skills.

Lately, the books I've written reviews for have been books that made me feel lucky for the things I have (or have not) experienced, grateful for the life I have and the person that I am.  Three of them are:

Beauty - Patria Dunn
Ink Me (The Sevens series) - Richard Scrimger
On The Island - Tracey Garvis Graves

I wish I could have been taking notes while I read these titles because I wish I could have written longer, more detailed reviews for them.  So I plan to learn from others and hopefully improve my blogging life.  I'm crossing my fingers for myself.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment