Sunday, November 30, 2014

On being a book lover

I love books.  I love reading books; I love reading books about books.  I love talking about books.  I love pictures of books; I love quotes about books and reading.  I am a book lover.

Later today (probably) I will finish reading "Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader" by Anne Fadiman.  I started it yesterday.  It is a short (162 pages) collection of essays about being a reader and writer.  The best part so far was finding the term 'persistent intellectual curiosity'.  Finally, I have found the words to describe my constant mental state.  I also love the essay on proofreading; I am happy to know that I am not the only one who has no way to shut that part of my brain off.  It's not that I consciously seek out errors but that my brain seems hardwired to find them anyway.

Yesterday, I travelled to Toronto for the Mythbusters Behind The Myths Tour.  I had dinner across the street from the Sony Centre at the Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill.  I ate my dinner while reading "Ex Libris" at a booth with a book-themed wallpaper.  I just HAD to take a picture of it.

Finding new-to-me titles to add to my TBR is one of my favourite activities (even if I will never read them all).  For me, books I want to read take on a certain aura or personality based on my expectations of the content.  I build up anticipation of reading a book based on these expectations.  Inevitably I will be wrong about how the content and I will mesh but not always for the worse.  Most of the time I will very much enjoy a book even though my interpretation of the blurb (aka the publisher's interpretation of the content) will be vastly different from the actual content of the book.  There are times when this results in a book and I parting ways before I have completed reading it.  But I think that is the nature of a reader.

Read on,
Paula




No comments:

Post a Comment