Friday, April 5, 2013

Discovering publishers catalogues...dangerous!

Our library receives piles of publishers catalogues that the CEO goes through to choose titles for me to order.  Until recently, I thought nothing of it.  And then I wondered if the public can have access to these catalogues.  So I went online and realized how few publishers/imprints I know.  I went to Penguin's Canadian website and found access to their catalogues.  This was a bad idea...I now have 115 catalogues downloaded to my computer to peruse at my leisure.  And that's after not downloading the ones for children's books and audiobooks.  There are some imprints I'd never heard of.  Like Dutton/Gotham.  I thought it sounded like they would sell mysteries, thrillers, etc.  Yeah, so I opened one of their catalogues and have now downloaded them all because of "Every Day is an Atheist Holiday" by Penn Jilette and "The World's Strongest Librarian" by Josh Hanagarne.  And there are still a few other imprints I wasn't sure if I would like and will check out their catalogues later.  But here's the problem: this is one "publisher" and I've got 128 catalogues to browse through (2002-2013).  As I find more publishers, I will probably be downloading/viewing their catalogues.  I do believe that my love of books has officially become an obsession.  I think my TBR is about to become burdensome.  Up until now, my TBR has been achievable because, if I read nothing but what is on my list, I could feasibly read them all in less than 10 years.  Now that I've discovered publishers catalogues, I'm finally in danger of never getting them all read.  It doesn't help that I heard that 50,000+ titles are published every year.  And I never hear about most of them.  Even with my picky tastes, that's a lot of books.

But then, the hunt for books to add to my TBR has been one of my favourite things about reading.

This just happens to come at a time when I am actually craving buying books.  This is the first time that it's been an actual craving rather than a desire.  What makes this particularly painful right now is my need to save money.  So perhaps if I gave myself permission to buy one book a month, I wouldn't end up overspending when I finally do go book buying.

Read on,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment